The Port is IN!!!

July 3, 2017

I was planning on arriving at the Ambulatory Surgery Center at 8:45 but they called me just before 8:00 and said the doctor was running ahead of schedule and I could I come on in?!?  So, I got out of bed, called Sue who was ready to go and we arrived about 8:20 or so.  By 8:45 I had checked in, had vitals taken, and was dressed in one of those little hospital gowns that are open down the back!!  Pretty soon, I had seen the doctor, had an IV in my hand and was being wheeled into the operating room.  I remember moving over to the other bed but that’s about it.  Everything went well and I was able to dress myself, get into Sue’s car and off we went to the main event of the day – Waffle House!!!  We were both hungry and we had a nice breakfast.  How can you possibly go wrong with a waffle and bacon???  It was very good tasting and I am glad to report that it didn’t make me sick at all.  One of the nurses said not to eat anything greasy – thankfully bacon is not greasy!!!  Yeah, right!!


Sue dropped off my pain pill prescription and then we went to my house.  We watched a program on Netflix that is like House Hunters except that it’s in England.  We saw some of the most beautiful houses and countryside.  Actually, Sue saw more than I did because I kept falling asleep but I still enjoyed the shows.  Sue went back and got my pills and then we decided that since I was doing just fine she went home.  I spent the rest of the day napping and watching television.  It was a nice day and I was not even very sore.

This photo shows the lengths I go to in order to be part of the holidays.  I was red, white and blue just in time for the 4th of July!!  I had gotten a little sunburned the day before, the site of the incision was pretty much white and evidently I had some bruising below the incision site which looked pretty blue.

image1 (2).jpg

By bedtime, I planned to take the pain meds to make sure I slept well, but after looking up Hydrocodone on my phone, I decided I didn’t really need them.  Those things look kind of dangerous and I wasn’t hurting too badly.  I did have to sleep in my bra since I had gotten another biopsy for the research study.  I did not have a great sleep but I did okay.  This morning I was more sore than I had been yesterday but it has never gotten really bad.  I did pick up a plant waterer and quickly put it back down since it seemed to ‘pull’  on my sore spot!!  Won’t be doing that again.  I can do things with my right arm and hard, including driving, but I just make sure I do it pretty slowly.  The doctor said no lifting of heavy objects, including grand kids, for two weeks so that’s going to be sort of tough.

I’ve decided that I should get a little more active than I have been, so I went for a walk.  It was only about 1/3 of a mile, but I sure was worn out at the end of it.  I expect the chemo treatments to make me tired, but I think that staying somewhat active won’t hurt me at all but might help me.  If I can keep it up – I’m a naturally lazy person, for sure.  Then Sue and I went to Longhorn to some supper but we won’t ate pretty healthy and refused any bread.  Now I’m more concerned about gaining weight throughout the process than I am about not eating enough – I figure laying around and watching tv is not what I need to do.

I am getting kind of nervous about the whole thing.  Twice today, I had minor issues – a stiff, tender finger and a fever blister – and immediately mentally blamed them on the chemo!!!  I know I haven’t had any chemo yet, but my mind is ready to blame everything on it.  I think it’s going to be an ‘interesting’ mental journey in addition to the physical journey. I still have one whole day before the chemo starts on Thursday morning and I am not looking forward to it.  Sue got me a nice fuzzy emoji blanket to take with me to the chemo session, so that’s something to look forward to.  I guess I can also look forward to enjoying just nicely sitting there reading or napping for 3 hours or so on Thursday morning.

Here are the photos of my gifts I couldn’t put in the last post.

image1 (3).jpg

image2 (2).jpg


image3 (2).jpg



Author: melaniesjourneythroughcancer

I am a retired teacher who was recently diagnosed with triple negative ductal breast cancer. I decided to write this blog to record the actions and emotions that occur as I make this journey through the cancer experience.

2 thoughts on “The Port is IN!!!”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: