Half good, half bad!

August 24, 2017 Thursday

Boy, those hot flashes while I’m trying to sleep are getting to me!!  They are so fast and furious!! I never did go back to sleep after one of them woke me up at 5:30 – I decided that the reason I couldn’t go back to sleep was because I was so hungry, so I finally got up and fixed myself a good breakfast.  I was nice and sleepy about the time I needed to leave to get my lab work done!!!  Figures.

My numbers were all good on my lab work today, even better than the last time.  I talked with two other ladies getting lab work done – one looked great and the other looked terrible – they both have lung cancer.  Glad I don’t.  I did have lots of trouble talking to people while there because my voice was so very froggy and low pitched.  I actually do better whispering than trying to talk!!

I felt better than I had in several days so I decided to go to Ringgold to the quilt show.  I enjoyed my time there and saw many beautiful quilts, but I walked too much.  I did sit down several times, but I overdid it.  Afterwards, I was very tired.  I decided to go on to a body shop and get an estimate to fix my truck but I had to wait for the correct guy to come back.  So, I had lunch at a Subway – it was good.  Gonna cost $650 to fix the truck.  Hate it, but it needs doing.

On the way back, I was thinking about my froggy voice and decided I should go back to the doctor since I am done with the antibiotics and my voice is not improving.  I’m also coughing up lots of tan colored gunk when I cough.  Then it occurred to me that perhaps last week’s chemo treatment may be interfering with my getting over the problem and that I should ask the oncologist’s people about that, so I went to the oncologist’s office.

First I explained it all to the nurse who then brought me into a room and I explained it all again to the PA.  She then went and got the doctor who came and sat beside me while I explained it again.  After asking questions and thinking about it, she told me to start taking vitamin C and gargling with warm salty water.  She said that the problem might or might not have been caused by the taxotere, one of the chemo meds, but that since I am so close to the last treatment and since I am not running a fever, we should just continue on with the treatments as planned.  I agree entirely.  If I have to have a froggy voice for another five weeks, I can live with that.  I do hope my voice goes back to normal afterwards, of course!! I was just so relieved that they actually listened to me and gave my problem some deep thought.  I’ve very glad I went there to talk to them.

So, I then headed to Kroger to get vitamin C and salt.  This is where the day really went downhill.  While I was there, I got a few other things, but not much.  However, by the time I reached the check out I was very, very tired and pretty dizzy.  I almost had to sit down but there was no where to sit so I kept going.  It was difficult getting back up the stairs into the house, but I made it and immediately sat down!   After a while, I got up and put away the groceries and this is when the worst part of the day started.  I supposed I should not have had the Subway sandwich but I had no idea the diarrhea would be so intense and long lasting.  It was horrible!!!!!!!!!  I’ll leave it at that.  I suppose I will eat food again, but right now I’d prefer not to!!!  Never again!!!!  After several hours, I appear to be back toward normal. During all that horrible afternoon, I also experienced lots of hot flashes!!!  Those are bad!!

I’m very thankful that I have not had any nausea in weeks – that is one side effect I do not want.  I know that this week has been the worst one so far in all the treatments.  I expect that the next week may be even worse – the second week after chemo is supposed to be the worst – so I’m not looking forward to that.

morning weight – 213.8

Author: melaniesjourneythroughcancer

I am a retired teacher who was recently diagnosed with triple negative ductal breast cancer. I decided to write this blog to record the actions and emotions that occur as I make this journey through the cancer experience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: