A lazy day

October 1, 2017 Sunday

I didn’t sleep very well last night – I kept waking up and having trouble going back to sleep.  When I got up, I didn’t rush to get anything done but I made myself a good breakfast.  I suppose I was a little nervous today about surgery tomorrow because I was experiencing a different attitude toward food than usual.  I kept wanting to eat and to eat things I don’t usually care about.  I went to Kroger to get food for several days of staying home and recovering and wanted to get bread and ice cream.  I passed the bread aisle okay and headed to the meat section.  I looked at all the kinds of meat I like but couldn’t bring myself to buy anything.  There was just nothing there I wanted – that’s unusual.  I kept walking the aisles and the only things I found to buy were peaches and watermelon.  I finally headed toward the ice cream section determined to get some – again an unusual thing for me.  I didn’t make it that far.  I found a coconut creme pie and some frozen peaches and Cool Whip.  I got those.

When I got home, I put away the groceries but then I decided to eat my treats!!  After a while, I was sick of pie and peaches, so I put what was left in the fridge and sat, my stomach entirely too full.  So naturally, I decided a nap was in order!!  I sat in my chair, turned the volume down on the tv and napped.  It was wonderful.  I had turned on my gas logs and covered up with an afghan – after all, frozen peaches, Cool Whip and frozen coconut creme pie are all COLD and my tummy was not only full but cold!!  I had a nice nap but I kept waking up with texts and phone calls, but I had no trouble getting back into nap mode each time.  Luckily I had set an alarm so I’d be awake for supper with the girls.  Just what I needed – more food!!!!!

Phyllis fixed us a very nice dinner and I really enjoyed my salad and ham and cheese toasty!!!  It was very good.  The others also had vegetarian lasagna and butternut squash but those are just not interesting to me!!  We had good conversation and it was just a nice evening.  Then we had dessert!!!! Strawberry shortcake and it was delicious.

When I got home, the first thing I did was pack my bag for Monday night at Sue’s house. It just occurred to me that I did not pack my toothbrush – I’ll have to make sure I remember that!!!  The next thing I did was to remove my diamond necklace I love so much – I never take it off – and my earrings – that was an experience because I had had them on so long, the little plastic piece on the back would not come off of the second earring so I had to get wire cutters and cut the earring off.  I hate that because I really liked those earrings.  I hope Paula can find me another pair of them. Then I started clearing up the kitchen – I nibbled on the peaches and coconut pie and then threw them away, filled and ran the dishwasher, and took out the trash.  I think things are about ready for me to be gone for a day and then come back to stay for a few days.  Sue and I may have to stop on the way to my house Tuesday so I can get some meat since I couldn’t today.  Oooohhhh – maybe I should get the makings for grilled ham and cheese sandwiches!!!  Yum.  Maybe,  maybe not.  I can guarantee that I will not be getting coconut pie or frozen peaches and Cool Whip.  I am SO FULL that I feel terrible.

It is now past midnight and I am in the no food or drink phase of the day.  I’m thirsty!!!  I expect it’s all in my mind, but that counts for something!!  I don’t really want to go to sleep because I’m not really looking forward to the events on Monday.  I just want it done but I don’t want to have to do it!!!  Strange, I know.

I have felt pretty strange all day today but I think it’s just nerves about the surgery.  Physically, I’ve been fine.  I did have a really intense bout of diarrhea late last night but that finally ended and hasn’t happened today.

I suppose it’s about time for me to take my double shower and use that slimy red surgery soap and let it soak in for a while.  Last night’s shower was really strange and I’m sure tonight and tomorrow mornings’ showers will also be strange.  Then the fun begins!!

Morning weight – 217.0

Author: melaniesjourneythroughcancer

I am a retired teacher who was recently diagnosed with triple negative ductal breast cancer. I decided to write this blog to record the actions and emotions that occur as I make this journey through the cancer experience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: