A nice day with a big surprise!

July 26, 2017 Wednesday

Today was a nice, easy day.  I did some errands.  I made sure the insurance company has all the faxes needed from all three doctors and she said to call sometime next week to see if a decision has been made about my lump sum payment – sure hope it goes through like it should.

I also did some sewing. I started a new applique quilt and finished one small section of blocks.  I also made another block in a sew along that happens weekly.

garden               plates

Then I went to dinner with my travel buddies.  We are very seldom all eight in town at the same time but we managed it this evening.  I made sure I was early but when I walked in, they are all sitting there looking straight at me.  My first comment was “Am I late?”  and then I noticed they were all wearing a bow thingy on their heads!!  Did I mention that they are a little sneaky sometimes??


They even had another one for me – it was a pink Minnie Mouse one!!!  They are so cute!!  So naturally, I had to put them all on and the girls said it looked good.  I’m not so sure!!


Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep it on too long as it seemed very tight.  I think these may come in handy when the weather gets cooler.  The girls tell me I should just wear them now as a stylish addition to my wardrobe.  Gee, I’m wearing dangly earrings – what more could they want???  I really appreciated the thought and effort they made to get there early in order to surprise me.  Boy, was I surprised!!

Then we had a nice dinner and along came another surprise.  First I was given a very decorative Sonic bag and when I finally got past all the wrappings and hot dog container, I found a Sonic gift card!!

image3  image2 image7 image4

Then I was given more boxes and bags and ended up with quite a pile of wrapping paper.  Someone, not to mention any names Paula, had made this an exercise in unwrapping, and then unwrapping more, and then unwrapping even more, just to get to a small package at the end!!  So now, I have gift cards to Kroger, Amazon, Sonic, and John’s BBQ!!!  They also gave me a really pretty bag to put them all in!!  This whole surprise was a really thoughtful and helpful gift and I really do appreciate it.  Gee willikers!!

As far as how I felt today, I felt great except for the pain in my right ankle.  I think it may have been caused by all the exercise in the pool yesterday but I don’t know for sure.  I know I had lots of leg and foot cramps last night and I feel certain that was from all the exercise.  I did get up and eat some antiacid tablets (thanks for that hint, Renee) and eat some pickles and drank some pickle juice.  After that, the cramps were not nearly as bad but they were still there, in the background, kind of.

I did take my first two steroid tablets this morning and will take two more tonight.  I’ll repeat this for the next two days.  Ive had several hot flashes today and I know that’s from the steroids!  (I’m about to melt right now!) I expect my chemo treatment tomorrow will begin with an infusion of steroids and anti-nausea meds like it did for the first treatment.  The whole process should take about 2 1/2 hours and I do hope to sleep through a lot of it, if possible.  I  am going to try to stay up late tonight so that I will be more likely to sleep, but I’m really tired and may not be able to stay up late. We shall see.

By the way, my fortune cookie tonight said that I should enjoy my dessert tonight, so I went to Bruster’s and got a large waffle cone.  It was amazingly good.  Guess that was my sugar for about a month or so.


Morning weight – 214.2


Only a little sleep, then a wonderful day!

July 9, 2017 Sunday

Again last night, I got only a little sleep.  I was tired and went to sleep about 10 pm. Then my phone evidently decided to upgrade itself and I woke up to see the light on the phone.  I kept fooling with it from about midnight til two when the light finally went off.  I slept off and on after that until about 6:30 but then I got on up and got dressed.  I’m hopeful this was the last night of disturbed sleep from steroids.  Maybe!!  It’s really strange to be dressed and have breakfast and then look at the clock to see that it’s not even 8 am yet!!  You can tell I enjoy sleeping late.  Luckily there was a run of Sherlock on television that kept me interested.

I kept working on that quilt I’m trying to organize and I actually started cutting some on the 60 stripes for it.  Those stripes finally got done during the day. I went to Paula’s pool at 11:30 and we had a wonderful time in the pool.  The water was even not cold!!  The sun was great – it had some strange circles around it during our time out there but it was  beautiful.  Paula made me wear a waterproof bandage and I even made her put it over my port incision.  Then I decided that I would not even get that far down into the water so now I am sure that I have not infected that incision.  It is still covered in the ‘human superglue’ the surgeon used – it is well sealed.  It may never all go away!!  My legs are a little sore cause I basically stood and moved my legs for two hours in the water but it’s a good kind of sore.  I did use sunscreen but I do have some definite sun on my shoulders and neck.  I don’t think my scalp got too much – I did take and use a hat for a while – and my incision is fine, so it was just a great pool experience.  I just love being in a pool.

After the pool, I went home and fixed a nice chicken pot pie, microwaved of course, but it tasted really yummy.  I had changed back into nice dry clothes and sat in my favorite leather chair and had the first nap I’d taken in a long time.  It was fantastic.  I was nicely rested and relaxed afterwards.  Great afternoon.  I did more quilt organizing, identifying and organizing the 58 blocks I will need to make but now the next step is to actually start sewing those blocks.   I’m going to delete about 10 blocks in the pattern and will substitute a lot of churn dash blocks for some other blocks.  I think it will look nice.

Then I fixed a steak for dinner and now I’m watching Barnwood Builders as I love to do on a Sunday evening.  I have been wondering if the oncologist gave me the correct meds on Thursday.  I’ve felt a little strange sometimes, but never really bad.  I know the effects will only get worse and worse, but I’m just so surprised that I have felt so good all weekend long.  I am very thankful for this respite, don’t get me wrong.  It’s just like waiting for a hammer that you know is going to fall, to start coming down.  I have kind of changed my attitude this weekend – just taking it very easy and doing just what I want to do.  It’s been great.

I hope to go sew with the Dudettes tomorrow and see the quilt lady on Tuesday, get lab work done on Thursday, then hopefully head to Roswell to see the kids and grandkids on Friday for a few days.  The Roswell visit is kind of uncertain since if the kids have runny noses, I probably shouldn’t but I expect I may not should visit for sure after the second treatment.  I’ll just play it by ear and do what feels best.  I do plan to try to take good care of myself all during this process.  I do hope I don’t get too sensitive to the sun because I plan to get into the pool again this summer, hopefully several times.

Morning weight – 219.  Sure wish I could lose a little weight at some point, just a little in a gentle downward glide to normal.  We shall see.









My Hair is GONE!!

June 27, 2017

i did it!!  I had Frank shave my head so that my scalp could get some tan before all my hair is gone.   We decided to cut Coen’s hair first and he was happy to stand still the entire time Frank was using the shaver.  This is a photo of the three of us just before my haircut began and you can see how long my hair was.


This photo is about when we were getting close to finishing  I kind of liked the Mohawk but I doubt I’ll ever have another one  then again, I never thought I’d ever have even one so maybe I’m ahead of the game!!



The very top photo is after we had finished.  The nurse said to leave some stubble so I don’t get any ‘ingrown’ hairs.  I guess that means I will still have my hair fall out but this will still be better than handfuls of it coming out.

I did put some photos and info on Facebook and I’ve had so many very nice and supportive replies.  That makes me feel really good to know so many people support me.

I have to say that I know I should proofread these posts but I find that very difficult to do.  I like this program, WordPress, that I am using except that I have to manually add the period at the end of sentences, but I am having a great deal of trouble doing that.  I’ve been spoiled by my iPad I suppose.  When I forget to put a period, that means the first word in the next sentence will not be capitalized.  I’m trying to put those periods, but I know I’m not doing a very good job of it.

Also, several people have not found the button to be able to “follow” me – I’ll try to find that and point it out.  I might update each time by making this appear on Facebook, but I will have to figure out my password for Facebook before I can make that happen!!

That’s it for now!

ps  I have not yet figured out how to add photos so I will continue to work on that.



%d bloggers like this: